CrypTool in scientific papers and theses
CrypTool in Education
Humanity has concerned itself with the topic of cryptology for three thousand years. However, until the mid-20th century it was a topic of importance to only a small interested group -- diplomats and the armed forces. In any military conflict, exchange of confidential information and eavesdropping is crucial for survival. Due to the sensitive subject matter the vast majority of crypto research was done in secrecy in the past.
CrypTool for Awareness
When we talk about awareness, or security awareness, we usually mean the consciousness for general concerns of information security. Hence, awareness is not only about cryptology, e.g. the encryption of confidential data, but also about a much broader topic.
Cryptography for Young Learners
Portal for teachers
- Germany — Land of Ideas 2008
- European Information Security Award 2004
- IT Security Award NRW 2004
- TeleTrusT Special Award 2004
Coverage in Print Media (Selection)
Here you will find a selection of articles about CrypTool in different print media.
Time-table / time-travel through cryptography and cryptanalysis
This overview of the various cryptographic algorithms is a chronological history of cryptology, whose origins date back to the days of antiquity and which over time has undergone steady refinement of its methods. Please note that this table is by no means complete.
Links with further information about the history of cryptology
- Wikipedia Timeline of cryptography
- The Story of Cryptography
- The History of Cryptography (from the "Virtual Exhibitions in Informatics" page of the University Klagenfurt)
- A short history of crypto from the Crypto Machines Home page
- Cipher Machines Timeline
- Frode Weierud's CryptoCellar - Cryptology and Its History
- Zeittafel der Kryptologie (German only)
- Jenseits von Kahn -- Die verborgene Geschichte der Codebrecher (German only)
Books focussing on the history of cryptology
- Friedrich L. Bauer: "Decrypted Secrets: Methods and Maxims of Cryptology", 1st edition, 1997, Springer, ISBN-13: 978-3540604181
- Bengt Beckman: "Codebreakers: Arne Beurling and the Swedish Crypto Program During World War II", 2002, AMS, ISBN 0-8218-2889-4
Translated from the Swedish by Kjell-Ove Widman
Review by F.L. Bauer: http://www.ams.org/notices/200308/rev-bauer.pdf