There are two versions of JCrypTool, the release version and the weekly build. If you don't know which one to choose, you should prefer the release version. A 64-bit operating system is required for execution. More installation instructions can be found here.
All components contained in the release version have been extensively tested. For MacOS, instead of 1.0.9 you will get the current weekly build because in that version, the Java runtime is already bundled.
Build date of the current release version "v1.0.9": 2023-09-01
Important notes for macOS users only
JCrypTool currently does not sign its weekly releases with a key that is known to Apple. As a consequence, the application may be flagged as not trustworthy. To run this release under macOS, do:
- Dowload JCrypTool and extract the .tar.gz file by double clicking it.
- Open a "terminal" window (in Finder: Menu "Finder → Service → New terminal in folder"; or press "Control-Option-Command-T" while selecting the folder from its parent folder). Enter the following command there:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/jcryptool.app
(assuming you extracted JCrypTool directly in the folder "Downloads"; otherwise, adapt the command accordingly. The `.app` file ending should be kept.)
- Start the extracted app by double-clicking the file "jcryptool.app".
Steps for unpacking and executing the application under Windows
1) Download JCrypTool. Choose the file which includes "Windows" in the name. It comes in the form of a ZIP archive.
2) Extract the ZIP archive. A walk-through can be found here.
3) The extracted archive contains a folder named "jcryptool" (commonly in a folder named after the extracted ZIP file). In it, you find the executable file "JCrypTool.exe". You can start it now by double-clicking it.
Windows may ask you to give the application permission to access the network at some point. This is necessary for the help system to work.
If you want to try out newer components, that are not yet included in the release version, you can alternatively download the current "weekly build" of JCrypTool.
Weekly builds are compiled every week based on the most current version of the source code contained in the Git repository. Please be aware that these builds are work in progress, so they may contain experimental features that are not yet fully functional.
Build date of the current weekly build "": 2023-09-01